Thursday, December 07, 2006

1 Cor 13:12 and Humility

More of Acts to come but I was just thinking about this today.

I have been to several major sporting events where there are televisions or "jumbotrons" there. I think it is kind of amusing that I can be watching it live and just feet from the action and yet spend a significant period of time staring at the same game on the screen instead of watching the real event! How often we treat God that way - content to see "only a reflection as in a mirror," rather than "face to face" (1 Cor 13:12). It is humbling to realize that even our perception of life is clouded at best. Even the best and brightest of the world still do not see everything clearly. It is also hopeful to realize that one day we will see clearly. Not that God doesn't do good things today but I enjoy the thought that one day we will live as God intends for us to live and be where he intends for us to be. I just love that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to that day too.

III said...

Hmmmmm. So you must interpret "when the perfect comes" that Paul talks about as the Eschaton. Does that mean that you believe spiritual gifts are for today, Matthew?

;-)

Matt said...

Hey Philip,

As far as spiritual gifts are concerned, here is my take. I am certainly not going to be the one who is going to tell God he isn't or won't still do that today. I tend to lean toward there not being gifts today like there were then but I have a very humble attitude when it comes to saying what God will or will not do today.

Religion Blogs - Blog Top Sites Christian Blog Topsites